Summer is the peak season for fresh, local produce: peaches, cherries, plums, corn and more! Eating local this time of year is easy and tasty – and it will also help your community and the environment.
Whole Foods Market is really promoting its commitment to supporting local producers this summer, and sent these benefits of eating local.
Benefits of Eating Local:
- Local foods are picked at the peak of ripeness and delivered straight to the store without traveling much distance and often within 24 hours of being picked which allows for the freshest, best tasting produce.
- Choosing to support local producers also helps you eat seasonally.
- Local food supports the local economy. Money spent on local foods stays close to home and helps your town or city thrive.
- Local foods have a smaller carbon footprint since they do not have to be shipped across the country.
These are all amazing reasons to buy local! Another great reason to stock up on local foods in the summer is that they are cheapest when at their peak. Eating local can be more expensive than conventional, and while I believe many of the benefits outweigh the costs (and I’m privileged enough to be able to make that choice), I’m still all for saving money when I can! So stocking up now on seasonal fruits and veg and preserving some for later is a great way to save and shop your conscience.
This season, dig into local peaches, cherries, plums, pears, corn and more. Try some of these recipes with your local finds:
- Peaches Poached with Basil (try local peaches and herbs!)
- If you LOVE peaches and nectarines like I do, you might want to buy a LOT while they’re in season. Here are my best tips for putting up stone fruits. And here’s a video that shows how to easily peel peaches and nectarines.
- Nectarine Jam with Lavender
- Nectarine Almond Tart
- Classic American Dessert: Cherry Pie (If you make this pie, make sure to check out these tips on four ways to pit a cherry)
- Or, check out my even MORE local Feral Cherry Pie
- Perfect for barbeques and picnics — Cherry Lentil Salad
- Smoked Cherry Compote – perfect for your grilled pork chops!
- And, of course, some amazing ways to eat fresh Colorado corn — beyond just slathered with butter (my favorite).
What’s your favorite summer recipe? Let us know in the comments below!
Thanks to our friends at Whole Foods Market, who sponsored this post, but all opinions are our own.