We all have our own opinions of hidden/hiding vegetables…but we can agree these are just yummy! Whether you advertize the addition of carrot or don’t even mention it, they’re simply scrumptious and a great way to add a fruit and veg to snacktime, breakfast, dessert, whenever.
- 8T butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1.25 cups oats
- 3/4 cups flour (whole wheat?)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Any or all of the following, measurements are suggested - add more or less to your taste:
- 2 oz or 1/2 cups slivered or sliced almonds
- 3.5 oz or 2/3 cups minced carrots*
- 4 oz or 2/3 cups dried apricots, chopped (the softest squishiest apricots taste & bake best)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup wheat germ, ground flax, or almond meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a mixer for 2-4 minutes.
- Sift your dry team (oats, flour, baking powder, and salt) together in a bowl while the butter creams.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the creamed butter and sugars, let incorporate for 1 minute.
- Slow the mixer down and add the dry ingredients, just until combined.
- With spoon or spatula add in the apricots, coconut, nuts, and carrot bits.
- Drop by teaspoon or tablespoon onto a cookie sheet. Leave 1-2 inches space between.
- Do you like your cookies soft or a bit crispy? For soft cookies leave them as is in messy tall ball-ish drops. For crispier cookies smoosh them flat - you might do away with the spoons and just use your hands to create nice little compact discs.
- Bake 14-15 minutes, until just starting to brown at the edges. Let cool on sheet 2 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
*you can achieve great carrot bits for any baked good by whizzing peeled carrots in a food processor until they are itty bitty bits. Or you could go the box grater method...ug, not nearly as fun or easy.
How do you incorporate vegetables into snacks or baked goods? Share your great ideas in the comments below!
3 thoughts on “Apricot & Carrot Oatmeal Cookies”
I love oatmeal cookies and this is a great way to keep them healthy. Thanks for the recipe!
So glad you enjoy it! Thanks for the feedback.