What does it mean to live well? Stylishly? Chic?
I assume the answer is different for everyone, but I have a few opinions for myself, and recently, I’ve been trying to cultivate them a bit more.
First, I participated in a free online “challenge” that was all about living your best life. The challenges included things like buying yourself flowers, wearing red lipstick, and dressing up for yourself. I found it invigorating, and one day at the library with my daughter, I went looking for more.
That’s where discovered Jennifer Scott and her lovely “Madame Chic” books — there are three, and I’m almost done reading the second, while the third sits ready on my nightstand, in from interlibrary loan!
The combination has been almost transformational. I’ve started adapting new, chic habits that make me feel like I’m living well. And it’s been several weeks now, nearly a month, so I’m fairly certain they’re sticking!
Some Chic Habits:
- Doing household chores on a regular routine. (This seems silly, but it’s something that’s eluded me my entire adult life — until now! Perhaps I just needed the right inspiration.)
- Drinking a glass of water with lemon before bed and one when I wake up in the morning.
- Having an actual skin-care routine.
- Multiple-course dinners. Even when the first course is edamame, salad or fruit, it counts.
- Drinking my bubbly water with a pretty paper straw. It makes me feel fancy.
- Flowers on the table. This week, they are cut from our yard and arranged in a mason jar — and maybe all the more beautiful because of it.
- Reading more.
- Morning pages. I am trying very hard to get in the habit of writing three pages of STUFF every morning to get it out of my head. I then transfer anything important (like to dos) to my bullet journal.
- Setting the table for every meal. Including breakfast!
- Picking up the clutter. Our house isn’t too bad, but we all have our hot spots. I’ve been making a point of clearing them every day. It’s so much more serene!
- Dressing well every day. This is also more fun right now because I started a subscription to Le Tote. I don’t think I’ll keep it up forever, but it’s fun to fight the wardrobe blahs without going overboard.
And, as I have discovered, nothing makes you feel chic faster than red lipstick…