Baby D. and I had a play date last week with one of her little friends, who happens to be a very picky eater. I whipped up a batch of these muffins—based on my low-sugar carrot cupcake recipe—with some chunky homemade applesauce and pumpkin puree I had in the fridge. I LOVED the addition of the apple chunks and might actually add some chunked up apple in the future if I were using a smoother applesauce.
D’s friend’s mom wasn’t sure he would eat the muffins, but he CHOWED down, eating almost the entire thing. I actually sent the remaining two home with her because she was so impressed at how much he liked it! Plus, it’s full of good things like whole wheat flour, apples, and pumpkin!
I think these would be fantastic as a dessert with a little lightly sweetened cream cheese or whipped cream as frosting—or even some coconut whipped cream would be excellent! Let me know if you try it.
These low-sugar muffins can easily be converted to cupcakes with the addition of a lightly-sweetened cream cheese frosting!
These were toddler tested and approved by a VERY picky eater. 😉
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (or apple chunks)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce, pumpkin and brown sugar; beat well. Combine egg mixture and flour mixture; mix just until moistened. Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting (if desired).