Adapted from a recipe by Suvir Saran.
Roasted Manchurian Cauliflower
I lightened up this amazing Chinese-Indian recipe by Suvir Saran; the original is pan-fried and contains much more oil. This recipe is seriously addicting, and you might want to double it! A wonderful way to introduce cauliflower to those who think they don't like it!
It goes well as a side dish to any roasted meat or fish, or with other vegetarian Indian dishes.
- 1 T canola oil
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 dried red chiles
- 1 T coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 1/2–3 pound head of cauliflower, cored and broken into medium florets
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 T canola oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9 by 11-inch baking dish generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- Grind the cardamom, chiles, coriander, cumin and peppercorns in a coffee grinder or small food processor until fine. Mix the spices with 1 T canola oil in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower, sprinkle with salt, and toss to coat. Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared baking dish and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower roasts, heat 1 T canola oil and 1/2 tsp of pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring often. Add the ketchup and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium and add the cayenne pepper and salt. Cook until the ketchup thickens, stirring occasionally, 6–8 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower has roasted for 20 minutes, add the sauce to the baking dish and stir to coat. Continue roasting until the cauliflower is tender, another 20–30 minutes, stirring midway through.
Copyright Laughing Lemon Pie, LLC unless otherwise noted.
Like this article? Sign up for updates—it's FREE!
Plus, you'll get instant access to my free e-book, The Ultimate Guide to Eating Organic on a Budget.