I wanted my little one to have the joy of a birthday cupcake—without the sugar crash. So I concocted these low-sugar carrot cake cupcakes for her first birthday party from a muffin recipe. They were a big hit with little people and big people alike!
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 T vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups carrots, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce and brown sugar; beat well. Combine egg mixture and flour mixture; mix just until moistened. Fold in carrots. Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting.
We decorated the top-tier cupcakes with these super-cute free printable cupcake toppers from One Charming Party; you tape a sucker to the back of each and stick them into the cupcake and the sucker becomes the ball on the seal’s nose.
We had planned to do them all that way, but they were too tall for my tray! But my mother had a brainstorm and we put animal crackers on top of the other ones, which was equally cute, and stuck the rest of the suckers in the goodie bags.